Network Security Questions To Answer Before Considering BYOD
Last time, I looked at the role BYOD plays in K12 environments. Whether you are actively implementing a BYOD program today, or are simply allowing students and teachers to bring devices onto the network, BYOD will affect your Wi-Fi network. Some questions to consider before starting include:
- How do you enable access to substitute teachers or guests today?
- Do you need to make changes in the future to this process?
- Does your Wi-Fi infrastructure enable role-based access control?
- Can your infrastructure facilitate a differentiated experience when the user is inside the school or accessing school resources?
- Does your approach require the installation of agent software? If yes, what happens if the agent is removed?
- Does your approach require additional devices or software? If yes, what?
- Does your wireless vendor support Bonjour gateway? Apple devices are widely deployed in schools, and advertise that services like printers or Apple TV devices are available using a specific protocol called Bonjour.
All posts in this series: